What causes Dry Skin?
Dry air is probably the most common cause of dry skin, especially during the winter. It draws the moisture right out of the skin.
Long, Hot Showers & Baths
Prolonged exposure to water, especially hot water can wash away the natural oils that protect your skin. Lukewarm rather than hot water is better for dry skin problem.
Soap can quickly strip away your skin's protective oils, and we tend to use way too much of it. Ironically, in the quest to rid ourselves of germs, excessive hand washing can dry out the skin and cause it to crack and bleed, making infection much more likely.
Many people obstinately wear clothing that they find itchy. But no matter how much you might love the look of a sweater, it's not worth it if it's uncomfortable.
- Changes in hormone levels: Dry skin often develops when people get older, especially in women. Changes in hormone levels can cause dry skin as we age. As many as 75% of people over 64 have dry skin.
- Skin conditions, like eczema and psoriasis: While they usually need direct treatment, careful use of moisturizers often helps.
- Diabetes: Fluctuations in glucose levels can lead to dehydration, and that dries the skin out. Given that diabetes can also slow healing and increase the risk of infections, it's especially important for people with this condition to keep their skin healthy.
- Hypothyroidism: Low levels of thyroid hormone can reduce the amount of oil produced by your skin. As a result, skin becomes dry and rough, where moisturizer is unlikely to help.
- Malnutrition: Not getting the nutrients you need can leave your skin dried out. One possible cause is an eating disorder.
Tips to prevent and treat Dry Skin
- Use a soap-free, sulfate-free wash in the bath or shower. It is less likely to strip the natural oils from your skin
- Select a cleanser that is clinically proven to be non-irritating
- Use a concentrated moisturizer clinically proven to hydrate your skin. Make sure it is free from fragrances & petrochemicals
- Select a moisturizer that is non-greasy and absorbs very well
- Select a moisturizer that provides 24 hours of moisturization